High Park Street Reservoir, Grade II listed High Park Street Reservoir was built in 1845 and lies just south of the City Centre in the Dingle area of the city. The Reservoir was designed to provide clean water in order to improve health and sanitation for the rapidly increasing population of the City.
The Lyceum is a neo-classical building which was designed by the architect Thomas Harrison from Chester after an open competition with the local Liverpool architect John Foster who was the surveyor to the Corporation of Liverpool. It was built between 1800 and 1802 and boasts a colonnaded front which faces onto Bold Street. The Waterloo Place facade, which housed the entrance to the Library and Newsroom, has four Ionic columns and between them are three relief panels by F.A. Lege.
The State Insurance building was constructed in 1905/1906 to a design by Walter Aubry Thomas who also designed the Royal Liver Building and Tower Buildings. Details of when the building was definitively closed are vague however during the 1990s the building was used as ‘The State Nightclub’.
Wavertree Botanic Gardens (formerly Wavertree Botanic Garden and Park) is an example of a mid 19th century public park. It incorporates an earlier walled botanic garden, founded by William Roscoe as Liverpool Botanic Garden and relocated from land near Mount Pleasant in the 1830s.The gardens include the Grade II curator's lodge built between 1836-1837. On 22 August 2013 the botanic park and gardens were listed by English Heritage at Grade II in the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens. The Botanic Lodge Wavertree is now a nursery!
Now the home of 30 James St a Signature living Hotel
Albion House, also known as the White Star Line Building, is a Grade II Listed Building. It was constructed between 1896 and 1898 and is positioned of the corner of James Street and the Strand across from the Pier Head. Designed by architects Richard Norman Shaw and J Francis Doyle, it was built for the Ismay, Imrie and Company shipping company, which later became the White Star Line. After White Star merged with Cunard Line the headquarters remained at Albion House until 1927. The building is situated on the corner of The Strand and James Street. The facade is constructed from white Portland Stone and red brick. In 1912, when news of the disaster of the Titanic reached the offices, the officials were too afraid to leave the building, and instead read the names of the deceased from the balcony. During World War II the gable was damaged and was later rebuilt in the late 1940s. The design closely follows the architect's earlier work of 1887, the former New Scotland Yard building in London. In the 1980s the Offices in Albion House were noted for their exquisite Office desks of fine wood. The entrance to the building at James Street has a fine mosaic of South America set into the floor, also near the James Street entrance inside Albion House was a wooden war memorial listing the members of staff who "Gave their lives for their country" in the 1914-18 War.
The Humyak building is located on Duke Street and is a listed building with English Heritage. It was built in 1864 which was relatively new in comparison to the majority of buildings in that area which were erected in the 1700s, many of which have been demolished in the past 40 years. The five storey warehouse expands over 18515sq.ft and is a substantial brick building with a pitched slate roof and suspended timber flooring. The warehouse has remained intact throughout its left and still has original features such as a jigger loft complete with a winding gear and cast iron window shutters. Internal cast iron spiral staircases and columns support the building’s heavy duty timber floor structure. Rumour has it the building was named after a ship from which reclaimed timbers were used in its construction. Other stories suggest it may have been built by a local family by the name Humyak as there were many Germans, Dutch and Scandinavians in the city around the time of building. Warehouses such as Humyak were built on long, thin plots with narrow street frontages and multiple storeys because of the high demand for land.
The Guardian Assurance Building was built to match a design thought probably to be by Grayson and Ould. The front is in stone and the left side is in brick. There are three storeys to the building, a basement and an attic, and at the corner there is a turret. On the ground floor there is a mullioned and transomed window, and the entrance is flanked by Corinthian pilasters on plinths. Above this, there is a bull’s-eye window flanked by cherubs and foliage, and surmounted by a segmental pediment. Other decorative features include a frieze with a cartouche flanked by cherubs holding ribbons
India Buildings on Water Street was built between 1924 and 1932 for Alfred Holt’s Blue Funnel Line and was designed by the architect Herbert Rowse. It occupies an island site which faces the main thoroughfare of Water Street and Brunswick Street and side frontages onto Fenwick Street and Drury Lane in the heart of the banking quarter of Liverpool and within five minutes’ walk of Princes Landing Stage on the River Mersey. India buildings was designed with the option to be converted into a warehouse if needed and replaced an earlier building of the same name and construction costing £1.25million.
The Futurist opened on 16th September 1912 as the Lime Street Picture House, a very upmarket city centre cinema. The architecture was of a Georgian styled facade and a French Renaissance interior. The grande entrance foyer had a black and white square tiled floor and the walls were of Sicilian Marble. It housed a luxurious cafe on the first floor and the auditorium was designed to have the effect of a live theatre with an abundance of architectural features which were embellished by plaster mouldings. The cinema provided seating for 1209 patrons and also boasted a full orchestra to accompany the silent films. On the 14th August 1916, the cinema changed its name to City Picture House due to another cinema opening in Clayton Square which was called Liverpool Picture House. The era of silent films ended in 1929 at the Futurist and new Western Electric Talking Equipment was installed. By the 1930’s, cinemas were popping up everywhere, the Forum in 1931 and the Paramount on London Road in 1934. This obviously affected the Futurist’s business and resulted in the cinema showing second runs of leading films. In 1954, Twentieth Century Fox leased the Futurist and showed cinema scope films for the first time in Liverpool.
Oriel Chambers is a Grade I listed building located on Water Street in Liverpool. The building, which was a work of architect Peter Ellis, was built in 1864 and comprises 43000sq.ft which is set out over five floors. Oriel Chambers, and the architects only other known built project at 16 Cook Street, are amongst the city’s precursors of modernist architecture. However, its simplified forms and large windows meant that the building was initially subject to courting controversy, being described by local critics as a ‘monstrous agglomeration of protruding plate glass bubbles’ and even ‘a great abortion’. Today, the building looks a little different to when it was first built. It’s period architecture is combined with a 1950s extension which was added to the building after it was bombed during World War II. Oriel chambers remains, however, one of the finest and most influential buildings of its age. It was one of the first office buildings to use an iron framework structure, its innovative design having a considerable influence on office buildings across the world, inspiring John Root’s early Chicago skyscrapers and shaping the New York skyline we know today. Oriel Chambers was named as one of Britain’s 50 most inspiring buildings alongside LLoyds of London, Clifton Suspension Bridge and Hadrian’s Wall in the Telegraph, Sunday 29th November 2008. Oriel Chambers is now occupied.